Sunday, January 17, 2010

What to Do?!

Hello! Hope everyone is having a good weekend so far. My weekend was pretty relaxing. Saturday - dentist, lunch with a coworker, did a little bit of shopping, got some work done at a cafe, gym, picked up dry cleaning, and McDonalds dinner (haven't had fries in about five months?!) and a whole bunch of Unstoppable High Kick episodes with Yuri. Love that show! Sunday - lunch and church with Susan, and volleyball and dinner with Justin.

Well, a lot of things have been on my mind lately. As my one year contract at POLY is coming to an end, I need to decide what to do. There are a lot of things I want to do. Some of the top things on my list include going to grad school and saving money.

First off, grad school. Believe it or not, I really really want to go back to school! But the problem is... as of now, I have no idea exactly what I want to go back to school for or where I want to go to school. I know I want to work with kids, that much has been long decided. I love teaching Kindergarten in Korea, but not so much in the states, so I'm not sure whether I would want to get a teaching certificate. If I attend school in the states, SF State has a MA in Concentration in Early Childhood Education that looks interesting. I might even possibly consider going back to grad school to study Developmental Psychology (but honestly, I'm not that interested in research).

Because I love being in Asia, I have also considered going to grad school abroad, either in Hong Kong or Korea. In Hong Kong, there are also some Master's programs in Teaching English as an International Language, a Postgraduate Diploma in Early Childhood Education, or a Postgrad Certificate in Psychology. Similarly, in Korea, there are programs for Early Childhood Education or English Language Education. But another thing I would consider is studying Social Psychology in Korea (along the lines of relationship dynamics and especially the role that culture plays). This topic has really interested me ever since I came to Korea; I wouldn't even mind doing research on it.

In addition to not knowing what to study, here's where another conflict comes in. If I do decide to go back to school in the states, I would have to apply now! It's not too late, but I do have to ask professors for letters of recommendations and look into taking some tests (i.e. CBEST if I want to get a teaching certificate). The deadline for state is in the beginning of May. But it's also a little difficult to apply while I'm in Korea. Fall semester grad school in Korea and HK starts in the beginning of Sept and the application deadline is in April. If so, I would just go back for the summer and come back in September (if accepted, that is).

Some other issues... of course, I miss my family so much! I feel like I'm missing out on seeing my younger cousins and cousins' kids grow up. I want to spend the holidays with my family, like Christmas (rather than on a date =_=). I want to eat tons of food on Chinese New Year (and get red envelopes!). I miss my grandparents and wish I could be there to drive them around and take them out to eat dimsum. That being said, I could go back to the states after my contract is over, but I didn't get to save as much money as I hoped. Honestly, it is a lot easier to save money here in Korea, and minus being away from family, I really like it here. I want to learn more Korean and if I stay in Korea longer, I could save more money (that would go towards grad school and traveling - I really want to travel while I'm still young, haha). But then how much longer would I stay in Korea?!

Sorry I'm just babbling, this is more of a personal post; there's just been a lot on my mind and you guys are all so far away... I know it's my decision, but any suggestions or advice?!

5 comments:

j said...

Hey, did you used to work at the Poly School Bucheon campus? I googled it, and your blog came up! If you did, how was your experience there? And hows the city? Please let me know =).

Jeanav said...

Hi Jessica,
I'm sure you get a lot of questions asking you about Poly Schools! Your blog is a great way to gain some insight into your experience so thank you for sharing. :) I recently got an offer with the Poly school on the Sungdong Campus and I was wondering if you have heard any good/bad things about it? Please let me know if you have, I'd greatly appreciate it!

If not, no worries. Good luck with grad school! And have a great summer.

Jeana

Jude said...

I got an offer from Poly-Schools and they offered me a job in Vietnam. Are they an okay school to work for?

Jude said...

I recently got an offer to work for polyschools in Vietnam. Is this a good idea or no? I know sometimes, Koreans could be shady.

JK said...

Hi Jess,
Like the people who left comments, I found your blog after googling about Poly.

Can you tell me any good/bad experiences you've had? I'm thinking of applying to the school but have never heard of it before until recently.

Hope to hear back soon,
Jen