Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Three Weeks Already

Me: Awww, Larry, Andrew's leaving and I won't see him for a long, long time...
Larry: You will miss him, yes?
Me: Yes, a lot.
Larry: Awww, Jessie, that's okay (gives me a hug). But you have me, yes? You forgot, yes?

Man, I miss the little monster, but thank goodness for webcams! I've been lucky enough to chat and webcam with everyone back at home, and it's made my transition to Korea so much easier. I'm so grateful for my family and friends. Can you believe that I've been here for three weeks already?! Today, Tuesday, marks exactly three weeks.

Random things I've observed/experienced:
- people get into the front seat of the taxi (me too now!)
- almost everyone sleeps on the subway
- they don't say "bless you" - my kids laugh at me when I say it
- the bus stopped at a gas station to fill up in the middle of the route!
- when seated, girls don't cross their legs (I've seen more guys than girls cross their legs)
- you have to pay for plastic bags from the supermarket (which I think is a good idea)
- garbage: you have to buy specific garbage bags and then just dump your garbage onto the sidewalk
- Koreans drink so much! they stay out until 4 or 5 am in the morning every night and then during the day, it's dead quiet because they're all at work! maybe that's why they're all sleeping in the subway...

Anyways, there's a lot more, I made all these mental notes, but it's not coming to me right now. My work schedule is tiring - working afternoons and nights. I'm not a morning person but I would much rather work the normal nine to five. There's so many things to do though - study for GREs, graduate school applications, running - that I'm sure I won't have any trouble keeping myself occupied during the day.

More another time, toodles!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

lara still thinks you are in davis
yes thank you to web cams, you are just a click away

Gorillaspike said...

HAHA "just dump your garbage onto the sidewalk"? that just sounds funny. Yes, technology is a good thing!

Clark Fobes said...

haha dude sounds like china...except chinese people dont use garbage bags, they just dump their garbage on the sidewalk. hahaa. alright let's webcam sometime!